Sunday, August 12, 2007

Slightly Intimidated

Yesterday I dashed off to the local LYS, but didn't find any solid pink yarn that suited for the Campanula pattern. Luckily, when I returned home, I remembered my gift from the last Sockamaniac swap--two skeins of beautiful Petunia sock yarn from KnitPicks.

Well, last night I sat down and began to read the pattern. I panicked! I've only ever knit top-down with a boring old cast-on. But, undaunted, I figure this will be my chance to learn not one, but two new techniques: provisional cast-on and short rows. Does anyone have any recommendations for sites with clear instructions (preferably with photos and diagrams?)

I'm excited about knitting this beautiful pattern, after I've taught myself the technique. I figure it can't be much more difficult than learning to knit on DPN's or two circulars, right?
Julia

4 comments:

MezzoDiva said...

Julia - relax! Once you go toe-up, you might never go back! It gives you the option of trying the sock on as you go, for a really perfect fit (no more guessing) and there's no need graft anything!

I suggest you work through the toe from Wendy Johnson's fabulous tutorial at http://wendyknits.net/knit/DetailedToeUp.pdf

Trust me. It's one of those things where you just have to do it once following the instructions step-by-step, then part way through you get it and you wonder what the fuss was all about. And then when you see that the heel works almost exactly the same way, it's a real eureka moment!

dorothy in wyoming said...

knitty.com also has a nice toes tutorial on their site

Suna Kendall said...

And you can use a different toe if you don't want to do short rows. Wendy also has information on that.

AfternoonMoon said...

Oh, so awesome! Havent received the pattern yet, but from the picture, I see that they are ToesUp! I havent done a toes up yet! Whoo hoo!

**posting today**